Batesville Mounds – 515 Highway 35 North
Seven mounds were originally recorded at the Batesville site. Of these, two remain relatively intact and two others are much reduced but still visible. The others have been completely destroyed since the site was first recorded in 1926. McCarter Mound, located a quarter mile to the north, may also have been part of the Batesville site as an intervening village area has been documented. The McCarter Mound was destroyed in 1968. Of the remaining mounds, Mound B is a rectangular platform mound nine feet high. Mound C is conical and stands 20 feet high. Mounds A (the northernmost) and D (the southernmost) are visible as slight rises on the landscape. Professional archaeologists have conducted excavations in Mound B and the village areas associated with the mounds. Pottery and other artifacts suggest that Native American people built the mounds during the Early to Middle Woodland Period (ca. AD 1-400). A set of copper-covered panpipes recovered from the McCarter Mound are on display in the museum at Winterville Mounds State Park.
This Native American burial site is a flat-topped ceremonial mound from the Woodland Period (ca. 500 BC to 1000 AD). This stop along the Mississippi Mound Trail is located on Mississippi State Highway 35. Click here to get directions via Google Maps.