Holy Innocents Episcopal Church – Como, MS
Built in 1873 in the Carpenter Gothic style, this church was designed by James B. Cook and constructed by Andrew Johnson. The church has an authentic Tiffany window.
Fredonia Church – Como, MS
The county’s oldest standing pioneer church; it was constructed in 1848 in the Greek Revival style. Designed by architect Andrew Johnson.
Como United Methodist Church – Como, MS
Built in 1912, this church features a dome.
Mt. Zion Missionary Baptist Church – Batesville, MS
On March 19, 1968, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. spoke at the church about the goals of the march on Washington. Annually, a parade that starts or ends at this church is held to celebrate Martin Luther King Jr. Day.
St. John’s Catholic Church – Sardis, MS
Built in 1880 in the Gothic style, this church is found on Main St.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church – Batesville, MS
Constructed in 1895 by Andrew Johnson, this church was deconsecrated after 1940 and used for the town’s public library, a voting precinct, and an American Legion post as well as a meeting place for civic groups.
26 homes, sites, buildings, and churches are on the National Register in Panola County. View the full listing of buildings and homes on the Register.
Swedish-born architect Andrew Johnson lived in Sardis, designing over 60 homes, churches, public buildings, and private clubs in Panola County. A sampling of these homes is listed below.
Ballentine-Bryant House – 506 Butler St., Sardis, MS
This free Classical Queen Anne home with a turret was built in 1904-05 and designed by Andrew Johnson.
Ballentine-Seay House – Pocahontas St., Sardis, MS
Architect Andrew Johnson designed this Renaissance style house, built in 1870.
Bates Home – Country Club Rd., Batesville, MS
Built in the mid-1850’s of hand-hewn lumber, this was the home of Rev. James Wesley Bates, the founder of Batesville. The home is in the Greek-revival style.
Craig-Seay House – Craig Street, Como, MS
This Colonial Revival/Queen Anne style house was built in 1899. Designed by architect Andrew Johnson.
Crenshaw House – MS 310, Crenshaw, MS
Designed by architect Andrew Johnson and constructed c. 1904 in Queen Anne style.
Gillion-Short-Holland House – 203 Childress St., Sardis, MS
Constructed in 1870 in the Italianate/Gothic Revival style, this 2-story house was designed by Andrew Johnson.
Hall-Roberson House – 510 Main St., Sardis, MS
Architect Andrew Johnson designed this 1-storye home, constructed in 1885.
Heflin House – 304 Main St., Sardis, MS
This Greek Revival home was constructed in 1858. It houses a museum containing artifacts from Panola County history.
Hufft House – 117 Pocahontas St., Sardis, MS
This Italianate style one-story home was constructed c. 1880, designed by architect Andrew Johnson.
Johnson-Tate Cottage – Stonewall St., Sardis, MS
An Eclectic/Composite style house designed by architect Andrew Johnson, this home was constructed in 1873.
Kyle-Spencer House – 16 McLaurin St., Sardis, MS
A Queen Anne style home constructed in 1901 that was designed by architect Andrew Johnson.
Tait-Taylor Home – 201 Oak Avenue, Como, MS
A Queen Anne style home constructed in 1892 designed by architect Andrew Johnson. This home is currently owned by Morgan Graff, proprietors of Heaven’s Trees Bed and Breakfast.
Sardis Historic District
View a list of properties in the district.
Historic Music & Arts Sites
Ada Sledge Bankhead Family Home – 204 East St., Como, MS
The family home of actress Tallulah Bankhead.
Gravesite of Mississippi Fred McDowell
Blues musician Mississippi Fred McDowell is buried in the cemetery at Hammond Hill Baptist Church, just north of Como.
Fred McDowell Blues Trail Marker – Como, MS
The marker, located on Main Street, honors “Mississippi” Fred McDowell, renowned for his bottle-neck style of playing the guitar and for his soulful singing of “Highway 61” and other blues classics.
Otha Turner Blues Trail Marker – Como, MS
Otha was a master of the fife and drum who attracted an international following as a fife player, preserving a historic fife and drum music tradition that predated the Blues. The marker is on Main Street across from City Hall.
Panola Playhouse – 212 Main St., Sardis, MS
Founded in 1962, it is one of the longest running playhouses in the state.
The Playhouse presents about six plays a year and features actors and directors from Memphis and Oxford as well as lots of local talent.
Napolian Strickland Blues Trail Marker – Como, MS
A gifted fife and drum and country blues musician, Strickland was born just east of Como. The marker is located on Main Street.
Stark Young Southern Literary Trail Marker – Como, MS
Born in Como, Young was a drama critic, novelist, essayist, playwright, translator, and poet. A marker is located on the lawn of the Emily J. Pointer Public Library.
Judge John William Kyle Law Office – 147 S. Main St., Sardis, MS
This office was used by Judge John William Kyle from 1919 to 1965. A native of Panola County, Judge Kyle served on the Mississippi Supreme Court first as an Associate Justice and then as a Presiding Justice.
Batesville Mounds – Hwy 35 N
This Native American burial site is a flat-topped ceremonial mound from the Woodland Period (ca. 500 BC to 1000 AD). This stop along the Mississippi Mound Trail is located on Mississippi State Highway 35. Click here to get directions via Google Maps.